Dr. Selwyn Layton
Assistant Professor of Nursing
"If you stay focused and organized, the learning is endless and you will grow in the profession."
- FNP—Spring Arbor University, 2018
- DNP—Capella University, 2014
- MSN in Administration—Touro University Nevada, 2007
- BSN—Touro University-Nevada, 2007
- Management—Southern Utah University, 2004
- CVU nurse, ED nurse, rural ground life flight nurse, house supervisors, BLS, ACLS, and PALS instructor
- Capstone Project: Cultural Competence in High-fidelity Simulation for the BSN Student
- Capstone Project: Quality Improvement in a Rural ED Triage System
In which online degree program do you teach?
What do you teach online?
Assessment, High Acuity
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What is the learning outcome or objective?
Focused and head-to-toe assessments, professionalism in assessment, SOAP charting, health history and putting it all together
Why did you start teaching?
Love for learning and passing knowledge on to future generations
What advice would you give to those considering the online RN to BSN program?
If you stay focused and organized, the learning is endless and you will grow in the profession.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in nursing?
Experiential learning, motivation, a passion for nursing and taking care of others
What do you think is the biggest challenge that people in nursing face today?
Learning a lot of subject matter in a small amount of time
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know.
Even though I’m white, both my kids are African American.