Dr. Courtney Paulson
Assistant Professor, Business Analytics
"I love working with students and helping them achieve their goals. Oftentimes I learn as much from them as they do from me, but there's nothing as rewarding as seeing students master a subject they thought would crush them."
- Ph.D. in Business Administration (Statistics) – University of Southern California, 2016
- B.S. in Statistics – University of Central Florida, 2011
- Winner, 2015 INFORMS Society of Marketing Science (ISMS) Doctoral Dissertation Proposal and 2019 Marketing Research Don Lehmann Best Dissertation-Based Paper Award.
- 2018 and 2019 Distinguished Professor at University of Maryland Smith School of Business
- Helped launch UMD and SUU Master of Science in Business Analytics programs
- One-day “Jeopardy!” champ (which might not exactly be a career highlight, but it seems to come up in every course when some enterprising student discovers the episode where I lost...)
In which MBA online program do you teach?
Which class do you teach online?
MKTG 6300: Marketing Analytics
What do you want students in your courses to learn? What is the learning outcome or objective?
Learn to think critically about data, when both collecting and analyzing data. Marketing analytics is all about identifying successful strategies for implementing clear, actionable marketing choices based on data, so you have to be careful that as a marketing analyst, you are drawing appropriate insights for your customers. By the end of my course, students should be able to collect and analyze data appropriately using a number of state-of-the-art analytics techniques.
Why did you start teaching?
I love working with students and helping them achieve their goals. Oftentimes I learn as much from them as they do from me, but there's nothing as rewarding as seeing students master a subject they thought would crush them.
What advice would you give to those considering the online Master of Business Administration – Marketing Track program?
Don't be afraid to take courses that seem challenging! Some courses are naturally harder to take online than face-to-face, but the professors are there to help no matter how you take the course. Keep in touch with us so we know how you're doing, and make sure you keep on top of any assignments or readings so you don't fall behind. It's harder for us professors to tell if someone isn't keeping up when it's online, so just be prepared that it will be a little more on you to let us know if something isn't working.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the field in marketing analytics?
The ability to think creatively helps a lot in analytics. Keep an open mind and try not to get frustrated if the data isn't telling you what you think it should. Persistence is key: keep going until you're satisfied with the explanation you've found (and are confident you could explain it to someone else).
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail – But Some Don't by Nate Silver